Saturday, August 25, 2012


M. B. P. De Costa
Group A
2nd post
22/08/2012

Health education programme

               
                When I first heard about it, I thought “oh piece of cake, that won’t be difficult”. I mean why to worry about explaining some kids about hand washing and brushing teeth.
                But when I had heard that we were going to our programme in an orphanage, my worries began stirring. Then we were briefed by Prof. Sivayogan sir and Sampatha madam how we should conduct the programme my relief was long gone. Game seemed to be not as easy as I thought, because orphanage is girls only and we should be extra precocious not to let them feel that they not like other kids and they are orphans.
                Then our clinical group was subdivided in to four small groups and arranged a draw to choose topics, when I unfolded the paper chit I got, I felt like someone punched me on face as it read “sexual education and related menstrual hygiene”
                Luckily our group had two girls (Darani and Shyama), so we (I and Sachith) planned to put whole burden of the topic on menstruation and related problems on them. They agreed on one condition, “ok, we’ll do it but you guys have to cover the rest”
                “Seems easier now” I thought. But still reading some text and answering a SEQ is lot easier than doing an interactive session on sexual education to a bunch of teenage girls. So we thought of letting them ask questions about what they want to know, rather than a doing lecture to them. So Sachith and I read on target areas ( 2ry sexual changes, child abuse, related psychiatric problems etc.).
                On 22nd of August we went to Delkanda children’s home, hoping to do a good session without getting in to any trouble.
                There were about 50-60 girls, most of them are below 13-14 years of age. I thanked secretly to ones who are above because lesser the number easier the session.
                Finally we got a group of eight girls in age group of 16- 17. Our girls (Darani and Shyama) got good start describing the basic anatomy and physiology of female reproductive system in a very simplified manner. Then Darani went further on myth and truths about menstruation, winning those girls’ attention 100%. 1st half of the session was a tremendous success.
                Then our turn came. So I and Sachith distributed some pieces of papers and pens to note their questions down and gave them a 5 minutes break. Then we collected all the folded papers and went quickly through every question. 7 out of 8 were on menstrual problems, and one on child abuse and damage to hymen. We thought the last question was too sensitive and little too much to handle all by ourselves. So Sachith went to meet Chamara sir for further advices.
                Meanwhile I dealt with other questions about menstruation and nutrition, and I was backed up Darani and Shyama. I think we did a good job there explaining their problems because their attention never left us for a split second.
                Then Sachith came back with answers and did a nice presentation on myths and cultural believes of purity of a woman and what is real. Nearing end of our presentation, I explained them what are child abuse and sexual abuse, and what should you do if you are the victim.
                After a brief summery we wind up our session. All the girls stood up and said “Bohoma isthuthie ayubowan theruwan saranai”
                Wow, what a life time experience, and I should say medical education is not as easy as I thought. But it’s worth to give a try, because the experience is amazing.                    
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment