Sunday, September 2, 2012


"I have not been handicapped by my condition. I am physically challenged and differently able."
 - Janet Barnes 


Janet Barnes was recognized as the longest living quadriplegic in the world in 2011. Then aged 83, her life story is quite inspiring. Born with a broken neck the doctors told her parents that she wouldn’t live past 14 years. But she did. She went on with her life, married & today has children of her own.

What tempted me to read about her was a Saturday spent quite unusually! After 3 weeks in to the most atypical appointment thus far, I was far from expecting a normal day of course! So when I saw that the scheduled visit was to Victoria Home in Rajagiriya, I knew it was going to be quite different. Going pass the home every day, I always used to wonder about the “Achchis & seeyas” who would wave at all the passing vehicles. I used to think it was an elder’s home. Apparently I have been quite ignorant!










Victoria Home is a residence for the physically handicapped.  
It admits physically handicapped people by birth, illness or accidents between the ages of 18-55. Established in 1888, It is funded by the government, but it’s not under any ministry.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the director and ushered in to the board room for a general introduction where he spoke about the history & the management of the place.
Then we were allowed to visit the wards. There are currently 175 inmates, with 14 wards. While walking through these wards, I was exposed to a side of life I could never possibly have imagined. Many of the patients were wheelchair bound. There were 2 wards in which the patients couldn’t move about by their own at all. They have been provided special aluminium beds and attendants are there to take care of them. Of course the wards were not spick & span as such. I guess it’s quite hard to maintain ultra clean wards, with such patients, but they were quite reasonably well kept.
special aluminium beds









What inspired me most was seeing some of the inmates engaged in handicrafts. I, myself am not the creative type. Nor am I good at any kind of handwork of course! I was amazed to see the lovely creations of the inmates. There were soft toys which were quite neatly made, key chains, flowers, bracelets etc. They were heard at work sitting in their beds & wheel chairs. Nevertheless they were quite keen in speaking to us & sharing not only their stories but also their products of hard work. Our group members were heavily laden with all the products they were selling! I couldn’t help but wonder what miracles they would work, if they were physically strong enough, with those skillful hands of them! We learnt that their products were sold at Hameedias, every month & they earn quite a reasonable price for themselves. 
products of the inmates
hard at work!


They also have a sports meet every year at which they take part quite enthusiastically. They are taken on trips to places such as Anuradhapura, Kandy & Galle. In other words, they are made to experience life just as we do, as much as possible.

They were quite happy with their lives, and quite proud of themselves too. They had every right to be so. Being handicapped physically have not stopped them from living their dreams. They are not complaining. They are special, differently-abled & in my opinion quite mentally stronger than most of the people in the society.
Seeing them reminded me of a famous saying,


“Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway”

The inmates at Victoria Home certainly doesn’t let the fact that knowing they are disabled, stop them from flying high.


Sachith Perera
02/09/2012

Post 03

1 comment:

  1. Good post Sachith,
    I have not been able to read all of your blogs this time as I was on the road a lot, but I see that at least some of you have got the hang of it. The main thing is to think about what you are learning all the time, to do it consciously so that you take away at least some of it for the future

    ReplyDelete